US Department of Agriculture is currently employing people as an animal packer.. If you are interested, see below for full details.
This position is located within a National Forest. The primary purpose of this position is responsible for packing supplies and equipment into backcountry locations by horse or mule.
Provides packing services to remote backcountry locations. Packs and balances loads of supplies, tools and equipment, rigs loads on pack saddles and monitors and adjusts as necessary.
Loads animals into and out of trailers, secures animals within trailers, and tows trailers with heavy-duty trucks.
Provides a full variety of needs in the handling and caring of stock, including grooming, feeding and watering, and also cares for medical needs of stock including tending to bruises, cuts, sores, and other medical needs.
Maintains pack equipment, tack and other supplies and equipment as needed.
Assists with maintenance of stock facilities, including fences, corrals, water systems, etc.
Rides and leads pack animals over rugged mountainous terrain to reach the desired destination without injury to pack stock, self or cargo.
Provides a wide variety of manual labor tasks involving trail maintenance and reconstruction work as assigned.
Monitors stock and all related equipment and reports any issues or concerns to stock manager and supervisor.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
5001 Miscellaneous Plant And Animal Work
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen or US National.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check
- Direct Deposit – Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of your choosing.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-Verify
You must possess the Basic Requirements identified below to be considered eligible for this position. Transcripts must be provided for qualifications based on education. Your application or resume must clearly show that you possess the appropriate experience requirements.
Applicants will be evaluated on their ability to perform the duties of the position rather than length of experience. Eligibility will be determined by the relevance, scope and quality of all experience and training, regardless of where or how acquired.
Applicants will be ranked and rated based on their knowledge of the job elements identified in this announcement.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Technical Practices (theoretical, precise, artistic)
- Use of Measuring Instruments
- Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc. (other than blueprints)
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Knowledge of Materials
- Dexterity and Safety
There is no substitution of education for this position.
To receive consideration for this position, you must meet all qualification requirements on the closing date of this announcement.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy is being used to fill positions for FY2020 Temporary Employment Hiring season.
This position is temporary, has a Not-to-Exceed date and will be filled for up to 6 months or as a not to exceed (NTE) 1 year, however an extension of the appointment may be possible without further competition. The appointment may also end early due to lack of work or lack of funds.
The number and location of positions to be filled will be dependent upon individual unit needs.
LOCATION NEGOTIABLE AFTER PREFERRED DUTY LOCATION: Selecting the “Location Negotiable” option as well as selecting your preferred duty location(s), during the application process, implies your willingness to accept a position in any duty location listed on this particular announcement. Selecting the Location Negotiable option, along with any specific duty locations, is encouraged as an opportunity to increase your chances of being considered and receiving an offer.
Note: announcements may be flown with the only duty location option being the Location Negotiable After Preferred Duty Location. Additional duty locations are not required. This determination should be made during the Pre Hire Consultation.
Pay rates vary depending on location and may be higher or lower than the amount shown. Please visit the Office of Personnel Management’s website for additional information on pay rates.
The USDA Forest Service has legislative authority to recruit and fill Permanent (Career/Career-Conditional), Temporary, and Term Appointments under the USDA Demonstration Project. Under this authority, any U.S. citizen may apply.
Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), Reemployment Priority List (RPL), or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, CTAP/RPL/ICTAP candidates must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors. CTAP/ICTAP eligible must meet the agency’s definition for a quality candidate as provided in the How You Will Be Evaluated section of this announcement to be considered.
If you are retired from the Federal Government and are selected for this vacancy, your retirement annuity may be offset from your pay.
This position is not eligible for telework.Bargaining Unit Status: Eligible – Coverage is dependent upon unit location.
Availability of government housing and federal day care facilities will vary by location.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated in accordance with the category rating procedure as defined in the USDA Demonstration Project Plan. Applicants who meet the basic minimum qualification requirements established for the position will be placed in the Eligible category. Eligible applicants will be further evaluated against criteria for placement in the Quality category. This evaluation is based on the level of your experience, education, and/or training as determined by your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire. Applicants with veterans’ preference are listed ahead of applicants who do not have veterans’ preference within each category.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities, or you may be found ineligible. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action up to including removal from the Federal service.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
The following documents are required for your applicant package to be complete. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, your system failure, etc. Encrypted documents will not be accepted. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
- Resume that includes: 1) personal information such as name, address, contact information; 2) education; 3) detailed work experience related to this position as described in the major duties including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; title, series, grade (if applicable); 4) other qualifications.
- If education is required or you are using education to qualify, you must submit a copy of your college transcripts. An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application if it includes your name and the necessary course information; however, if you are selected, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to entering on duty. Education must have been successfully obtained from an accredited school, college or university. If any education was completed at a foreign institute, you must submit with your application evidence that the institute was appropriately accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as equivalent to U.S. education standards. There are private organizations that specialize in this evaluation and a fee is normally associated with this service. For a list of private organizations that evaluate education, visit the NACES website. All transcripts must be in English or include an English translation.
- If claiming veteran’s preference, you must submit a DD214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. Veteran’s preference must be verified prior to appointment. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran’s preference and your application will be evaluated based on the material(s) submitted.
- If claiming 10-point veteran’s preference you must provide the DD214 or certification requirements (see above bullet), plus the proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans’ Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. Failure to submit these documents could result in the determination that there is insufficient documentation to support your claim for 10-point preference. For more information on veterans’ preference visit FEDSHIREVETS.
- Surplus or displaced employees eligible for CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP priority must provide: proof of eligibility (RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a transfer of function or directed reassignment to another commuting area, notice of disability annuity termination), SF-50 documenting separation (as applicable), and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with your application per 5 CFR 330.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
Job Link expired…