ACTED has been committed since 1993, to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 14 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Shelter Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Full Time
About the Job
- Acted Nigeria Mission operates throughout the North East Region of Nigeria. Due to the nature of operations, the geographical locations in which we as a mission deliver humanitarian aid, the unpredictable and ever-changing context, staff accountability procedures, the importance of effective communications and the concern of staff safety and security during any field deployments within this context is of a huge concern:
- The shelter Assistant supports the implementation of Shelter/NFI distribution under the direction of Shelter NFI Officer and in collaboration with other actors.
General Programming & Operations:
- Assist all distribution processes, including distribution of shelter, non-food and food items and other as required.
- Ensure that correct information is collected for each beneficiary and ensure that records of distribution are correctly maintained.
- Mobilize the IDP communities and affected host populations to ensure their full participation in the project / program activities.
- Assist in identifying key persons in villages (Imam, other key persons such as women with influence) who can mobilize the community and support the implementation of the program.
- Assist in preparing and conducting meetings with community representatives and members in the intervention areas.
- Assist in individually and collectively identifying the strengths and weaknesses of village committees and propose appropriate solutions.
- Facilitate awareness raising activities with other partner organizations and disseminate information about services available for IDPs and affected host communities.
- Disseminate and share information with Persons of Concern (vulnerable persons) on their rights and access to services
- Maintain good relations with local implementing actors, local authorities and other international and local stakeholders in the field
- Assist in maintaining excel database to ensure that statistics and other reports are produced on a timely basis.
- Prepare weekly and monthly plans & reports to Shelter NFI Officer.
- Provide the Shelter NFI Officer with relevant documents and information.
- Communicate, exchange information and co-operate with relevant internal departments.
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- High School Diploma / National Diploma or Degree in any Social Sciences with technical background on shelter construction.
- High knowledge on distribution and its processes
- 2-3 years work experience with non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and/or displaced population is a very strong asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries, duty bearers and other stakeholders.
- Willing to adhere to and implement the ACTED rules.
- Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills, able to work under pressure and manage personal stress
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP displacement locations
- Fluency written and spoken fluency in English and Hausa at must; additional fluency in Kanuri preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, Access and Microsoft Outlook..
- Contract length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Start date: 1st October 2020 – Desirable.
Application Closing Date
17th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a Cover Letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.