Ralph’s Farm Market in Langley has been a leading Fraser Valley food retailer for more than 38 years. A new 11,000 sq. ft. market was built in 2018 to serve their loyal and growing customer base. A family owned business, Ralph’s is a dynamic retail environment, taking great pride in delivering unsurpassed customer care and an amazing variety of high quality fresh produce and groceries.
The strong, dedicated team are focused on providing a wonderful shopping experience all of which has enabled Ralph’s to grow consistently
The store is seeking a new leader capable of energizing and leading our team and together continuing to provide our customers a food buying experience without equal. If you have a passion for food and the energy and experience to take the store and our team to the next level we want to hear from you.
RALPH’S FARM MARKET
22728 Fraser Hwy., Langley BC
General Requirements of Position
- Ability to build our store to the next level
- Available 5.5 days a week during operation hours, Monday through Saturday. Must have the time to commit fully to the job
- Be able to handle customer complaints, questions or requests for information about the various products throughout the Farm Market
- Be able to manage department budget and achieves financial goals including sales, gross margin and labor; by effectively implements promotional programs, merchandising and pricing plans by proper planning and advertising sales and specials according to the marketing plan and the budget
- Be dependable and reliable; and the ability to work a flexible schedule that changes as the business changes including nights, weekends and holidays
- Coordinate, manage and monitor the workings of the various departments
- Effective Leadership & Supervision style
- Effective promotional ideas and follow through
- Ensure each department in meeting labor, sales and margin goals determined in conjunction with the Store Manager, maintaining a working knowledge of personnel reports, margin reports, weekly sales numbers and financial goals.
- Ensure each department is managing inventory, in-stock position, pricing integrity, merchandising plans, labor, security, expense control, and other operational processes to company standards
- Ensure general housekeeping in all the department; clean and sanitize work area (including tables, floor, walls, cases, cooler, freezer, etc.)
- Foresight when making decisions or solving problems
- Formulate and implement departmental and organizational policies and procedures to maximize output.
- Forward thinking- Initiative of new ideas and planning for future
- Have and show a positive, outgoing and friendly behavior; a positive attitude and the ability to interact with our customers. Have good communication skills; and the ability to give direction and participate in a team environment in all departments if needed
- Human Resources – hiring, letting go, evaluations, meetings, supervising, accountability, etc.
- Improve processes and policies in support of our mission and goals.
- Interest & Knowledge in Produce, Grocery & Deli/Bakery
- Knowledge and ability to build, oversee and implement daily operations/system e-commerce on our website platform
- Knowledge in online and social media advertising is an asset
- Leading by example through commitment to Ralph’s Farm Market & living our mission.
- Must be able to perform other related duties as assigned
- Naturally creative and organized
- Passion for delivering an extraordinary customer service experience while working in a fast paced and friendly environment
- Secure, mature individual who can accept feedback and grow from it
- Sharing your passion and knowledge of food with others while teaching and developing a team
- Strong Communication Skills & ability to relate well with different types of people from staffing to vendors to customers, etc
- Strong computer skills are mandatory
- Understanding and planning of reports, financials and budgets for the well being of Ralph’s Farm Market
- Working with owners & managers on implementing new ideas, as well as having a strategic input & overseeing the follow through
- Written presentation of problems and suggested solutions to owners
- Capability to lift 50 lbs
Overview of Responsibilities
- Advertising through Sampling, Signage, Newspaper, Social Media & Email
- Assist, where needed, in all departments where possible at high customer volume periods.
- Collaborate with Produce, Grocery and Deli departments to develop, display and maintain appealing displays
- Coordinating events/experiences for customers
- Cost control & inventory control in all departments
- Daily supervision and scheduling of all staff, including orientation, training and evaluation.
- Give encouragement, direction and correction to staff as needed via regular meetings and coaching
- Implementation of final management decisions.
- Know, understand and implement company policies and procedures as laid out in our EE GUIDE, including our Health & Safety Program
- Maintaining an organized, clean and safe work area. Develop cleaning and maintenance schedule for staff to perform
- Meet customer needs and satisfy complaints through strong customer service and staff coaching
- Oversee and ensure Ralph’s Farm Market and grounds are kept tidy and pleasing in appearance.
- Oversee the smooth daily operation of Ralph’s Farm Market
- Oversee, develop and delegate maintenance of store and equipment in cooperation with store owners
- Participate in monthly and yearly inventories
- Report to and collaborate with store owners, implement new/updated systems & procedures as discussed
- Review Financial Reporting & Developing Projections
- Set up, implement and oversee ecommerce
Areas of Supervision
- As Store Manager, you are the communication link between the management of Ralph’s Farm Market and staff.
- Ensure staff excel in performing all job functions in all areas. Review & monitor the performance of the employees and directing them to the goals and targets of Ralph’s Farm Market.
- Handle emergencies & complaints.
- Interpret and apply company policies and procedures.
- Arrange team building events & meetings as necessary
- Communicate changes in policy/procedures
- Communicate with owners regarding job opportunities
- Conduct evaluations (2 weeks, 3 months and as needed) and coaching to help staff grow in their strengths and weaknesses
- Delegate tasks and accountability
- Employee Training/Encouragement/Coaching/Evaluation
- Ensure new staff work through an official orientation upon hiring and before starting their specific duties or job description
- Ensure staff are properly trained in their specific job procedures, duties and functions
- Fill in during peak busy periods in all departments
- In collaboration with managers and staff develop/update job descriptions in all departments
- In conjunction with Office Supervisor, oversee weekly scheduling and approving time off and holidays
- Keep and maintain staff records confidential
- Laying off / letting go of staff when necessary
- Manage quality and quantity of employee productivity
- Organize recruitment and placement of required staff. Establish organizational structures
- Perform Performance Adjustment notice and meetings, in conjunction with department managers, with staff who need correction in their work performance based on the Employers Employee Handbook, job descriptions and all related handouts
- Responsible to establish a proper wage cost ratio to sales (17%) based on hours allotted to different departments
- Reward staff who show strong work ethic as agreed upon with Owners
- Supervise staff & monitor and evaluate performance
- Working in collaboration with Produce Manager, Deli Manger, Grocery Manager and Office Supervisor
- Written documentation when addressing issues with staff
- Consult Ralph and Elizabeth if you are having ongoing issues or difficulty solving a maintenance problem
- Develop, maintain and delegate cleaning and maintenance schedule
- Ensure the market is well maintained – lights, equipment, fixtures, etc
- Collaborating with all departments in preparing for seasonal events, e.g. Christmas – contacting suppliers for gifts, food donations and prizes for staff
- Ordering enough product to support event
- Check accuracy of the balancing of cashier till
- Compose necessary memos, letters etc to staff to ensure excellent communication
- Ensure store signage is always accurate and updated
- Oversee smooth operation of office
- Oversee Payworks – scheduling, TOR and time sheets
- Understand office procedures and ensure deadlines are met
Health and Safety
- Chair monthly Safety Committee meetings
- Communication with Store owners regarding unsafe work areas or conditions
- Ensure a First Aid Attendant is always on duty
- Ensure all staff are abiding by the Health and Safety program as laid out in the EE Guide
- Ensure that the staff are reporting to First Aid and follow up visits are taking place
- Ensure the First Aid station, Burn-Station and Eye Washing station are well stocked
- Recommend employees for First Aid and Forklift Training
- Collaborate and participate with Managers in various departments for full, attractive, fresh displays according to Mission Statement
- Collaborate in creating attractive seasonal displays, e.g. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s, Easter
- Create, monitor and maintain a clean and healthy store environment by promoting cleanliness and healthy habits.
- Ensure displays are full, fresh and attractive
Inventory & Product/Financial Management and Ecommerce Sales
- Be present and oversee yearend inventory
- Ensure employees properly handle & store products appropriately and with care.
- Ensure quality of products.
- Establish count teams for inventory for items not done with onsite counting Company RGIS
- Be responsible for successful e-commerce, home delivery/pick up service
- Monitor cash management & minimize shortage levels.
- Plan effective strategies for the financial well being of the company.
- Review financial statements and data from POS. Prepare and control operational budgets.
- Utilize financial data to improve profitability. Ensure all inventory cost prices are updated on a regular basis.
Promotion and Advertising Duties (in conjunction with Advertising department)
- Collaborate and help coordinate special events as related to advertising, marketing, social media, website.
- Create an annual calendar of events/advertising time line
- Develop new promotional ideas & oversee implementation.
- Establish an advertising budget.
- Plan and support sales and marketing activities.
- Work in collaboration with all departments for advertising.
- Work with vendors to coordinate cross promotion of their products.
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- Dental care
- Life insurance
- Vacation & paid time off
- Bonus scheme
- On-site parking
- Casual dress
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Retail Management: 5 years (Required)
- management: 5 years (Required)
- leadership: 5 years (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)