Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, Rwanda and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Technical Team Lead – Ruby on Rails
Locations: Accra, Ghana, Cairo, Egypt, Kampala, Uganda, Kigali, Rwanda, Lagos, Nigeria, Nairobi, Kenya
Where You’ll Work
- Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software engineers.
- Based in NYC, SF, Kigali, Cairo, Lagos, Nairobi, Accra and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
- A day in the life of a team Software Engineer: Our team is distributed worldwide which means we work asynchronously most of the time. Your typical week would include:
- Collaborating with design, analytics, support, and product management to understand the problems we want to solve and exploring how we can solve them
- Discussing and collaboratively solving engineering and product problems with engineering collaborators in Slack or Zoom
- Opening a Pull Request to implement the next most important feature or fix the most critical bug
- Trying to reproduce a reported bug and responding to issues we’ve received from the community
- Reviewing your teammates’ Pull Requests and providing helpful feedback
- Working with your engineering manager in your one-on-one meetings to grow your team and career
- Talking with users to discover what they love and what their pain points are.
- Design, scope, and implement technical solutions that scale across multiple web applications
- Collaboratively define and prioritise projects and tasks
- Drive thoughtful conversations around technical issues and opportunities
- Review code and provide thoughtful, constructive feedback for your team and the community
- Triage, reproduce, and debug technical support requests, bugs, and feature requests reported by users in our Issues on our website.
- Provide compassionate technical leadership, mentorship, pairing opportunities, and code reviews to encourage the growth of others.
- Strong written communication skills
- High degree of empathy
- 6+ years experience as a full-time professional coder using Ruby on Rails.
- Experience team leading/management.
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
- Ability to draw on both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspectives pragmatically based on project needs
- Experience building highly available services at scale.
What You’ll Get*
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- May vary slightly based on location.