The Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung awards scholarships to international master students and graduates in order to enable study and research at universities in Germany. This way, we actively promote intercultural dialogues, the formation of international networks as well as the internationalization of universities and science.
Each year new focus countries or regions are determined for our selection procedures. In 2020 the focus regions will be Central Europe, Southeast Asia, Near East and Western Africa. Interviews will be conducted in Budapest, Seoul, Amman and a capital city in a West African country (yet to be determined). If you are living in a country or region close to these cities, you may send your written application directly to the responsible KAS office – please check their web-sites for the exact procedure and addressee. Students living in countries that are not listed cannot apply for the international selection procedure in 2020.
In case you are already living or studying in Germany, you are welcome to apply for a scholarship via the domestic selection program using our online procedure. Please fill out the application form online and upload all required application documents. Please do not send in any documents by mail as these will not be considered. The application period ends on July 15th (12:00/noon) each year for the domestic procedure
Scholarship Program for International Students is aimed at international students and graduates who have acquired a university degree and who intend to complete postgraduate or master studies, doctoral studies or a research stay of at least three semesters at a university in Germany.
- have a university degree, as we do not provide support for bachelor studies,
- prove above average academic performance,
- be no older that 30 when applying,
- have good knowledge of the German language (B2-level),
- be actively engaged in voluntary work,
- plan to study a minimum of three semesters at a university in Germany,
- possess a broad general education and distinct interest in political issues,
- have a positive attitude towards democracy and human rights,
- be open to develop their personal points of view and practice tolerance,
- be highly motivated and able to convince us of their goals in life.
- Students in Medicine or Pharmacy can only apply after having completed their intermediate exam in Germany or when having achieved a comparable stage of their studies.
- Human or dental medicine specialist training or post graduate research stays in Germany cannot be supported.
- Persons having already achieved a doctorate are not eligible for a scholarship.
scholarship program consists of financial assistance, personal guidance, a wide seminar program and access to the worldwide KAS-network. After the successful completion of studies, we remain in contact with our alumni and involve them in our national and international activities.
The duration and level of funding varies for different types of studies. Graduates (master or postgraduate students) receive a monthly scholarship of € 850 ( € 861 as of August 1, 2020). The standard funding period is two years. After having obtained unconditional admission to doctoral studies at a German university, PhD-students receive a monthly scholarship of € 1.200. The standard funding period for PhD scholars is three years. We also fund research stays in Germany for the minimum of three semesters.
Beside the monthly stipend, we offer multiple subsidies for our scholars. Upon request, we subsidize health care insurance up to the amount of € 120 per month. We also offer a family allowance of € 276 provided that you and your spouse live together in one place in Germany for at least three months and that his/her income does not exceed the amount of € 450 per month. Additionally, we grant children’s allowance of € 194 per month for children living with you in Germany. Prerequisites are the submission of an official German translation of the child’s birth certificate and the official rejection of your demand for public child allowance.
In addition, PhD-scholars can apply for financial assistance for research stays abroad. However, we do not fund participation in congresses or symposia.
Fees resulting from courses at the university in Germany that are directly related to your studies can be refunded up to the amount of € 1.500 per semester. However, we do not refund regular semester fees resulting from enrollment or annual re-registration.
For More Information: