Can you work in Qatar as a Translator And Digital Diplomacy Officer? If yes, see below for full details and apply.
The British Embassy in Doha is part of a worldwide network, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are looking to appoint a Translator & Digital Diplomacy Officer grade A2 (L).
Main Purpose of the Job:
Providing translation services, updating Embassy’s digital platform, producing press summaries, and assisting in protocol-related duties.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing translation services that are accurate and to a high linguistic standard for all sections of the British Embassy Doha.
- Translation work will cover a range of subject matters including note verbales, defence section translations, and press releases, which should be completed within the agreed time-frame;
- Treating all translation work with the appropriate level of sensitivity and confidentiality.
Digital Diplomacy Officer
- Updating Embassy website’s pages on behalf of other sections.
- Publishing content on all Embassy Social Media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube)
- Proactive and responsive engagement with BE Doha’s digital audience, by promoting Embassy events and responding to any social media contact through Twitter and Facebook, within 48 hours.
- Assisting the Digital Manager in monitoring and reporting on digital trends in Qatar.
- When required, monitoring mass media and news with information concerning the British Embassy Doha and the relationship between Qatar and United Kingdom.
- When required, producing press summaries for Doha and UK based customers.
- Keeping records and evidence of embassy produced media articles for future reference.
- Devising and coordinating photo/video opportunities, ensuring subsequent photos/videos are then placed on social media.
- Assisting in protocol-related duties as assigned by Protocol manager.
- Supporting Embassy Public Diplomacy events when required.
- Managing a Quality Service: Effectiveness in this area is about being organised to deliver service objectives and striving to improve the quality of service, taking account of diverse customer needs and requirements.
- Delivering at Pace: Effectiveness in this area means focusing on delivering timely performance with energy and taking responsibility and accountability for quality outcomes
- Collaborating and Partnering: People skilled in this area create and maintain positive, professional and trusting working relationships with a wide range of people within and outside the Civil Service to help get business done.
- Leading and Communicating: Effectiveness in this area is about leading from the front and communicating with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. It’s about supporting principles of fairness of opportunity for all and a dedication to a diverse range of citizens.
- Experience working in a similar field
- Excellent written and spoken English (IELTS 7 or higher)
- Native Arabic language skills
- The ability to work in a high pressure, high workload environment
- The ability to meet productivity targets
- Good self-management and organisational skills and ability to work unsupervised
- Good team work and interpersonal skills with a positive attitude
- Good working knowledge of MS Office programmes and be able to adapt to other systems
- Digital Communications experience
Working Hours and Remuneration:
The British Embassy offers a competitive remuneration package, including non-negotiable salary of QR 11,520 per calendar month and transportation allowance of QR 800 per calendar month, paid in arrears. The contract will be a full time, fixed term for 2 years subject to 6 months’ probation period.
No accommodation and relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position.
Conditioned working hours are 38 hours per week. Embassy working hours are 7.30 a.m. to 3.30 p.m. Sunday to Wednesday and 7.30 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. on Thursday. Due to the nature of the work, some flexibility on hours will be required.
The successful candidate will need to commence security clearance procedures through the Embassy.
Applicants must already reside in Qatar and hold the right to live and work there, including those either under spouse sponsorship or be able to transfer an existing sponsorship to the British Embassy.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must complete the online application form and answer the motivation for applying and competency questions.
** (Your application must include examples of when you have demonstrated the competencies outlined above in your online application form. Applications that are not complete will be rejected).
The closing date for applications will be 07 June 2020 by 23:55 Doha time. Applications received after the stated deadline will not be considered.
The recruitment process, including security clearance, is expected to take around two months.
Due to the large amount of applications, the Embassy receives only those shortlisted for interview will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview. Applicants selected for interview will be required to complete a translation test as part of the interview process.
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security-vetting procedures. Any offer of employment will be subject to the candidate achieving suitable clearances, medical clearance and reference checks.
The British Embassy Doha is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference. Staff recruited locally by the British Embassy is subject to Terms and Conditions of service according to local Qatari employment law.